This recipe highlights our new favorite condiment, the pickled red onion. Red onions have a certain spice which msakes them perfect on burgers, tacos or in salsa. This recipe provides an easy way to really give these onions another depth of flavor by pickling them in lime juice. Along with immense flavor, the pickling also helps give these onions a crazy highlighter pink color. We guarantee that everyone will be asking how to make these onions once they try them. They are especially good in tacos!.
- 2 small red onions
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon salt + more to adjust taste
- Slice onion into thin strips and place in a bowl
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and a squeeze of lime juice, let rest for about 10 minutes
- Cover the onions with lukewarm water and let rest for another 10 minutes
- Rinse and drain the onions
- Add the lime juice, salt and the oil, and mix well.
- Cover the onions and place in the fridge, the onions will start to turn pinkish after about 3 hours, and will turn very pink if left overnight. Taste again before serving and add salt if needed.
Here are the onions in the water bath:
Now the onions are mixed with the oil and lime juice to pickle:
There are the onions after a few hours, you can see them slightly changing color:
After a day or so see the deep pink color they have achieved:
As we stated, we love these onions. They come out with this amazingly sweet flavor thanks to the limes. We have been putting these guys on everything we can think of. They were perfect on tacos especially the Salsa Verde Carnitas Tacos we made a few weeks ago. They were a perfect topping on both burgers and turkey burgers we have eaten recently. They also went nicely on our Mango Arugula Salad. You will see that they are very versatile and so good you will want to put them on everything.