Going into Super Bowl weekend we would be remised if we did not provide everyone with a wing recipe for all of those Super Bowl Parties going down. We wanted to changed it up from the regular "hot" wing recipes and we found a simple Maple Chipotle Wing Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 pounds chicken wingettes and drumettes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red hot sauce. We recommend Frank's Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 canned chipotle pepper (minced)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 500°.
- Coat a large baking sheet vegetable oil. You can also line the sheet with foil.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt and sage. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Spread the chicken on the baking sheet in a single layer and spray with vegetable oil.
- Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, turning once or twice, until browned and crispy.
- In a bowl, whisk the hot sauce, butter, chipotle pepper and maple syrup until combined. Add the chicken wings to the sauce and toss.
Above is the wings coated in flour, sage and salt about to go into the oven.
Here is the hot sauce starting with butter, Frank's Red Hot, Chipotle Pepper and Maple Syrup.
These wings came out so crispy, you can't even tell they did not go into a deep fryer
We had high hopes for this recipe, but we did not expect it to be this good! These wings came out extra crispy which is amazing since they did not touch a deep fryer. They were seasoned perfectly thanks to the flour mixture. The Maple Chipotle Sauce had the perfect balance of sweetness and hot sauce flavor. We were worried that these wings would be too sweet, but they were perfect. They tend to be on the mild side in terms of heat.
If you prefer your wings to be on the hotter side, you may want to add 1 or 2 more whole chipotle peppers into the hot sauce. This will add more heat into the sauce and also give you more chucks of peppers on the wings.
Anyone looking to make wings for the big game should consider making this recipe. These are not your regular old wings, you get a nice hint of sweetness followed by the familiar smokey flavor of regular hot wings. Baking them in the oven also helps make them a tad bit healthier than the deep fried variety. Get after these wings and lets us know what you think!